General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Prove a way to enforce steps be run consistently between environments

Octopus Deploy does not currently enforce the completion of all steps in all environments. This leads to at least two scenarios that may not represent the desired workflow:

1. Steps skipped in previous environments are not necessarily skipped in later environments
    e.g. a database script was not applied in Integration but was applied in User Acceptance Testing, when the intention was for User Acceptance Testing to have skipped the same steps that were skipped in Integration to ensure both environments are the same.

2. Promotions can take place when steps have been skipped in previous environments
    e.g. a database script…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add "QueuedBy" system variable for obtaining user who has actually queued deployments

I'm getting persons username when receiving deployment status email from automatically triggered deployment (by Project trigger on machine becomes available event). In the email template i'm using Octopus.Deployment.CreatedBy.Username system variable to display user who has run deployment.
      So in case of auto-triggered deployments I would like to get value "System" instead of some person's username (apparently one's who first has run the deployment manually).

Ref: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/52736-octopusdeploymentcreatedbyusername-value-is-not-system-when-deployment-fired-by-project-trigger

55 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Improve Variable Substitution Feedback/Logging

Currently the information included in the logs, regarding variable substation is very limited:

Performing variable substitution on <filename>

This could be improved in a few ways:
        - Add the number of variables substituted to the logs
        - Include the variable, and value substituted as Verbose (Sensitive values replaced with stars)
        - Add the variable names substituted to an Output variable; I could do my own lookup of the value, and email a report in a follow up script step

In the end, I'm just looking for some way to verify an integral part of deployments.

14 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Support deployment of Azure Function projects

Support deployment of Azure Function projects

75 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add Environment level Machine Policies

Currently machine policies are only able to be applied at the machine level. The idea is to set the policies at the environment level so they are applied to all machines within that environment. That would make it easier to manage groups of machines at a time, and would automatically apply policies to newly added machines. This could be helpful in auto-scaling scenarios.

54 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Octopus Deploy Status Icon/Widget

The ability to hot-link to publicly accessible widgets/icons that show the last Octopus deploy status for a particular project and it's environment. Very similar to how build tools do it (like TC Server, Jenkins, VSTS and Travis CI). See an example here: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/status-images/

22 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Show step progression on dashboard

It would be nice to be able to see step progression on the dashboard, not just the ajax spinner.

Something like http://i.imgur.com/DG3QYYv.png

52 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Version control configuration

This was originally raised at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6186352-version-control-of-deployment-scripts and closed as completed with a solution of scripting the import/export tool.

Raising as a new suggestion as this has come up as few times in support calls and some people have suggested on the original thread that the import/export tool doesn't meet their needs. (Didn't want to reopen the original thread as some people are happy with the provided solution in that thread.)

"In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing…

369 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    14 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add Channel to Dashboard (filter)

Project dashboards allow tracking the deployment across multiple channels. I'd like the same capability on the MAIN dashboard... preferably as a filter.

as commented in https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/11719014-add-channel-to-dashboard

if proj A has chans A1, A2, and A3, I'd like to be able to see all or some (perhaps only A2/A3) on the main/home dashboard

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • List/View Deployment Projects by Environment, Server and Role Tag.

Would like a way to list/view all deployment projects by Environments, Servers, Roles with links to each project and perhaps summary data showing how many projects fit this criteria and when was the last one deployed to this criteria and what was it. This added to the Deployment target screen or simply add hyperlinks to tags and server names throughout.

9 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Clarify permissions for team groups / projects

To restrict a team to a specific project, the Project Groups is supposed to be left EMPTY, even though the PlaceHolder text says "Any Project Group".

A better UI design would be to have a box of Projects/Groups, where the autocomplete will include both groups (as "ProjectGroup\*" or "ProjectGroup - All Projects") and individual projects (as "ProjectGroup\ProjectName").

In using this UI, a multi selection of GroupA\* + GroupB\Proj1 is as obvious as GroupA\* + GroupA\Proj2 (which would be obviously unnecessary and redundant)

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Extend the Subscriptions feature to allow runnable scripts

Octopus Subscriptions should be extended to include support for running scripts (PowerShell, C# etc) in response to events. That, or allow the community to write their own extensions for Subscriptions (similar to how auth extensions were implemented).

This would save us from having to setup an external webhook for Octopus to communicate with / cut out the middle man.

* This was originally feedback from the [Subscriptions blog post](https://octopus.com/blog/subscriptions#comment-2992150730).

40 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Make sensitive variables more secure

Sensitive variables pass to script as a String, so they could be written to file/socket. I think there should be an option to make those variables more secure and pass them as SecureString instead of String.

37 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Add ability to use run conditions for child steps

The only way to specify a rolling deployment is by grouping several steps into one parent step.

Child steps cannot specify any run condition (success, fail, variable) but some child steps run condition can be based on several factors controlled by run conditions.

I already opened a discussion here: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/55380-add-ability-to-use-run-conditions-for-child-steps

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Step for docker package selection

As of version 3.7.12 it is possible to use the "Transfer package" step and use the selected package on custom steps (e.g. push it to an s3 bucket).

However, when it comes to docker "packages" the only way to select a docker feed is by using one of the 3 default docker steps.

It would be nice to have a basic step which would allow us to select only the docker feed and have that step export the image+version (tag) to other steps.

In my case, this would allow me control the deployment of a specific image using custom templates…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Move approvals outside of the process

With the current model and permissions, there is no way for us to allow developers to be able to edit processes, but not not have the capability to skip, delete or disable manual intervention steps. The Manual Intervention is a useful tool, but it's not suitable for audited approvals of deployments.

It would be good to move approvals outside of the process itself and have a separate way to manage them, so that they cannot be skipped and can be secured so only a privileged user can amend them. They should also send notification to the person / team that…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Advanced Tentacle cleanup for deleted Octopus items

Currently retention policies will only run on a Tentacle during a deployment and only for the project currently deploying. There are cases where you delete a project, channel or tenant meaning even if a deployment is run on the Tentacle those previous releases will never be deleted.

The idea being raises will give the ability for a cleanup process to be run on an environment for all active machines. It will compare existing projects, tenants (etc where relevant) against the deployment journal and if there are records in the deployment journal that cannot be matched to the triggering instance those…

18 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Canceled Deployments should show tasks as canceled if they did not complete

When a Deployment is canceled, deployment task lists should show as canceled if they did not complete

Currently, when a multi-step deployment is canceled, the machine shows as successful even if only 1 step is completed

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Show variable snapshot differences in release screen

Sometimes when deploying, the user receives this message:

"For consistency, this deployment will use a snapshot of the variables and deployment process that was taken when the release was created, which does not include the latest changes that have been made to the project. A changed process can only be incorporated by creating a new release (this one may be renamed if desired). Variables can be updated via the release page, clicking Show to show the variables from the snapshot, and clicking the Update variables button."

It would be great to be able to tell the user exactly what changed,…

72 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow new IIS step to just create IIS resources without necessarily deploying a package

Currently the new IIS step (introduced in 3.4.7) allows you to create Sites, Apps and Virtual directories, but you always have to deploy a package.

It might be useful for some users to be able to take advantage of the IIS functionalities, without having a deploy a package.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9702

78 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 51 52
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base