General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add "QueuedBy" system variable for obtaining user who has actually queued deployments

I'm getting persons username when receiving deployment status email from automatically triggered deployment (by Project trigger on machine becomes available event). In the email template i'm using Octopus.Deployment.CreatedBy.Username system variable to display user who has run deployment.
    So in case of auto-triggered deployments I would like to get value "System" instead of some person's username (apparently one's who first has run the deployment manually).

Ref: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/52736-octopusdeploymentcreatedbyusername-value-is-not-system-when-deployment-fired-by-project-trigger

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add Environment level Machine Policies

Currently machine policies are only able to be applied at the machine level. The idea is to set the policies at the environment level so they are applied to all machines within that environment. That would make it easier to manage groups of machines at a time, and would automatically apply policies to newly added machines. This could be helpful in auto-scaling scenarios.

49 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Version control configuration

This was originally raised at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6186352-version-control-of-deployment-scripts and closed as completed with a solution of scripting the import/export tool.

Raising as a new suggestion as this has come up as few times in support calls and some people have suggested on the original thread that the import/export tool doesn't meet their needs. (Didn't want to reopen the original thread as some people are happy with the provided solution in that thread.)

"In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing…

339 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          13 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make sensitive variables more secure

Sensitive variables pass to script as a String, so they could be written to file/socket. I think there should be an option to make those variables more secure and pass them as SecureString instead of String.

37 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Show step progression on dashboard

It would be nice to be able to see step progression on the dashboard, not just the ajax spinner.

Something like http://i.imgur.com/DG3QYYv.png

43 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow new IIS step to just create IIS resources without necessarily deploying a package

Currently the new IIS step (introduced in 3.4.7) allows you to create Sites, Apps and Virtual directories, but you always have to deploy a package.

It might be useful for some users to be able to take advantage of the IIS functionalities, without having a deploy a package.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9702

56 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow integer and boolean types in JSON Configuration Variables Feature

JSON Configuration Variables Feature only support string substitution at this time. At least integer and boolean type should be supported as well.

16 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow for child process step failures to be displayed in error notification email

Currently if you have child and parent steps with a single failed deployment email step at the end of the deployment, a failure of any child step will only be indicated as a failure of the entire parent step. It would be nice if the step.Status.ErrorDetail and step.Status.Error had the ability to display child status details.

This was previously requested here: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/4210-show-child-steps-in-email, but was closed without any movement.

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Search/Filter on projects and environments

Basically a lift of the excellent search on the dashboard added to the project and environment pages.

Meaning you get all the goodness of search, but can still have a filtered dashboard.

10 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Show variable snapshot differences in release screen

Sometimes when deploying, the user receives this message:

"For consistency, this deployment will use a snapshot of the variables and deployment process that was taken when the release was created, which does not include the latest changes that have been made to the project. A changed process can only be incorporated by creating a new release (this one may be renamed if desired). Variables can be updated via the release page, clicking Show to show the variables from the snapshot, and clicking the Update variables button."

It would be great to be able to tell the user exactly what changed,…

42 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Show child steps on deploy

When running a deploy with child steps, the overview only shows the parent and not the progress of the children.

Suggestion, show the children on this so you can see how far through the parent you are.

14 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Parallel deploy throttle

Currently you can throttle the number of package aquisitions and the number of machines which will run steps in parallel.

We see issues whereby too many steps run on the same machine causing out of memory issues.

Can you please add configuration to limit the number of steps running in parallel on a single machine

10 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow non-tenant and multi-tenant deployments to the same environment

The new 3.4 Multi-tenancy feature is great. But there is a limitation preventing it for some to use it effectively.

We have several projects, some have multi-tenant deployments (per client) some others not (tool project, shared services projects etc).

We deploy all these projects to the same test and staging servers and some as well to production environment. Meaning, the same machine might be used for multi-tenant and non-tenant deployments.

The current 3.4 release does not allow us to use the same environment/target for both type of projects.

Workaround as published (setup dummy tenant instance) is a less desirable, as…

67 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow project-level opt-out of "Apply retention policies"

When deploying a project that is composed primarily of a large number of Nuget Package steps (say 50 or more) the "Apply retention policy" step that runs after all packages have been deployed can take a significant amount of time to run, which slows the deployment down (seen ~10 mins).

While it may make sense to help optimise this by breaking the process down, it would also be useful to disable the retention policy from being applied, and allow it to run overnight or when deployments are not taking place. If 10 deployments like this run a day, this can…

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Run a step 1 time in a Rolling Deployment

Building on the below question from the support forums, we have a task that I want to only run 1x per a deployment. We have too many machines to track which ones are live to use the approach of a special role to *run once*, and with ODs acceptance of ephemeral machines, keeping up with a machine in this special role is an undue maintenance burden. We should have a simple check box that for a particular environment / deployment, we only want to run a step once.

For context on how this helps, the question below was to run…

10 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Integration with Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams already has a pretty great list of connectors, but one big one is missing... Octopus Deploy!

I would like to be able to receive messages in a channel when a deployment is complete, or certain events happen.

30 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add `Custom deployment script` feature to `Transfer Package` step

It would be great if you add features from `Deploy package` step to `Transfer Package` step. At least `Custom deployment script` feature would be very useful.

Scenario:
                                    1. We deliver package to target
                                    2. We want to run some kind of script which could push this package to HTTP server or something. We don't need those packages to be unpacked, because it takes a lot of time.

We want to use this scenario in Octopus because we already have configured environments and don't want to duplicate it in any other place.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Enable a direct link to a line in a log file

It would be really handy to be able to link directly to a particular line in a log file. So instead of sharing a URL like:

https://myoctopus.co.uk/app#/projects/Projects-539/releases/0.1.622/deployments/Deployments-11427

I could share this instead:

https://myoctopus.co.uk/app#/projects/Projects-539/releases/0.1.622/deployments/Deployments-11427?line=123

so that whomever I was sharing the URL with could be taken straight to the part of the log file that warrants their attention.

We use TeamCity for our builds and that has this ability to deeplink into a build log, it would be nice to have the same for our deployment logs.

24 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Show parents steps on deploy start

When using child parent steps the parent steps are not shown on the deploy start screen which can lead to confusion.

Suggestion to show and allow a skip of all child steps by skipping the parent.

9 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Show parent if single child steps has different name

We have projects built dynamically where a component is defined as the parent, and the children are the steps to deploy that component.

Some components only have 1 step, these show in the process as normal steps even though the parent and child have different names (only possible when created using the API)
                                          When the names differ, show the parent with its single child and have numbers x for parent and x.1 for child.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 48 49
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base